Tuesday 22 February 2011

A beautiful city - Arrival, day 1


Well here I am all rested after a night back in my own bed. No 9am meeting this morning, just a leisurely start to the day for me.

We arrived in St Petersburg last Thursday at around lunchtime, but it was late afternoon by the time we reached out hotel and boy was it cold. We knew it would be, but there's no way you can imagine it until you are standing about waiting for a bus, but more of that later.

Our journey into the city was pretty much as you expect, not the prettiest sights although we did pass the very large and impressive Monument to the Heroic Defenders of Leningrad
Monument to the Heroic Defenders of Leningrad, St. Petersburg, Russiahttp://www.saint-petersburg.com/monuments/heroic-defenders.asp












Sculptures next to the stairs leading up to the monument

However the only photo I took from the coach window was for some reason of a random building which I can't identify, but I still like in a very industrial way.


Our hotel was palatial compared to the New York accommodation for the last art trip I went on and I think we were all extremely grateful for this, especially as it meant students could stay in in the evenings if they wanted to instead of freezing in the minus 20 degree (and lower) temperatures.

Not a road, a frozen canal, but beautiful sunshine too

     
Mark and Ivan in tourist mode


No comments:

Post a Comment